Creating a watercolor background for your greeting card

7.09.2017

Lately, I've fallen in love with watercolor paints. I can't draw to save my life, so my fascination with them has more to do with coloring things in or creating fun backgrounds with a wash of color. Recently I ran across this tutorial by Sandy Allnock showing how to use masking fluid and stencils to create backgrounds. I scrounged through my supplies and found a couple of stencils and gave it a try. 

Tip! In a lot of videos, the crafters encourage you to tape your watercolor paper down to a clipboard or cutting board to keep it from warping while you paint. Often they'll use the blue painter's tape, but I used washi since I had it on hand. I believe the idea is that a low-tack tape will hold the paper in place, but not damage the paper when it's time to peel it off. If you need to, tap the tape against your clothes a time or two before placing on your project. 

Here are a few pictures of my projects as they came along:




And now the finished cards 😁
Both use sentiments from our Color Seasons stamp set (linked below). I used VersaFine ink to stamp the sentiments onto the vellum. It didn't want to dry, so I poured on some embossing powder and heat set for a nice, shiny - no smudge! - finish. 



And a second using warmer colors:



Current Stampin' Up! Products:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground