Use It Tuesday - Iced Crystal Technique

Today's Use It Tuesday uses items you may already have in your home. Don't you love when that happens?

This Iced Crystal technique was originally shared with me by Stampin' Up! Demonstrator Kim Bolzenthal. The technique is easy yet creates an interesting result suitable for any season and project. Let me show you how it's done:

Supplies:


Epsom Salt
Boiling Water
Paint Brush
Glass Measuring Cup or Bowl
Card Stock


Step One:
Mix equal parts Epsom Salt and Boiling water. (I used 1/2 cup of each.) Stir until the Epsom salt is dissolved.


Step Two:
Paint the mixture onto card stock using long strokes. Drain off any extra. Tip: Once it starts to set, do not go back and brush more on or you will destroy the crystal effect.


Step Three:
Set aside and allow it to dry. And as I said to my son, try not to "mess" with it.

Basic Black and Pumpkin Pie card stock
And here's a close-up so you can see the shine and crystal-like texture!


Notes:

  • Once completely dry, you can cut the card stock down to size. You can also use it with a steel-rule die like our Framelits.
  • I painted the card stock you see above and there was PLENTY left over. You may want to try less; just remember to use equal amounts water and salt.
  • I kept the remainder of the mixture in a closed Rubbermaid container (shown above). Three days later, I painted more card stock and received the same results as the original batch.
  • Kim mentioned that it could take a while to dry or you can use a fan or heat tool to speed it along. I placed my card stock in the flow of the A/C and was able to use it about an hour later.
If you missed the samples from last week, you can either scroll down or click on the following links:

Googlie Ghouls 1 (Mummy)

Googlie Ghouls 2 (Witch)



Links: Shop Stampin' Up! from the comfort of home. 24/7
Have future posts sent directly to you. Subscribe via Feed

Comments

  1. What a great technique!!! I totally have to try this!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique. Thanks for the directions. I'm pinning it so I remember to try it later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Your comments are greatly appreciated!