Solution to dry Blendabilities

4.11.2015

If you are a Stampin' Up! fan or follow my blog, you may remember the recent announcement that we have discontinued our Blendabilities line of alcohol-based markers. To keep the story short, the manufacturer couldn't provide a quality product and that's not how we roll. The main problem we were having with the markers is that the manufacturing process was causing the alcohol to evaporate in the marker, leaving it dry and unusable.

Well, I wanted to share a solution for you in case you would like to be able to use your markers. A demonstrator by the Splitcoaststampers screen name "inkpad" suggested adding Copic Colorless Blender refill to the markers that had run dry. (Or, in some cases, arrived dry!) She also suggested that the refill could be mixed with our own dye ink refill (used for ink pads) to keep the marker true to Stampin' Up! colors. I tried both methods with success! Lookie:






To add only the Copic Colorless Blender refill, simply remove both caps from the marker. Gently remove a tip from the marker and add drops of the refill to the marker barrel. Here's what the marker looks like with the marker tip pulled out:





For the Coastal Cabana marker, I added about 20 drops then reinserted the marker tip back into the barrel and replaced the caps. Let the marker lay flat so that the refill can work it's way into both tips of the marker. My "test" was to leave it alone for about 15 minutes or so then squiggle it on some paper. (See the first picture above.)

The CC marker worked beautifully, but the Old Olive marker still needed some work. So I mixed just two drops of dye ink re-inker with a few (I didn't count) of the colorless refill in an embellishment container. I don't have a tiny funnel, so I propped up the assembled marker and simply let the writing tip of the marker rest in the mixture. It absorbed the liquid faster than my husband inhales his morning coffee. I let it lay flat a few minutes and presto - marker fixed!


Now  before anyone leaves a bitter comment - I know it's not ideal to have to "fix" something that should have worked to begin with. That's why we had to nix the product... But I hope that those of you who are looking to use your markers found this information helpful and that this solution will help you to enjoy using your markers.

Blessings!
Adriana B.

p.s. I ordered the Copic Colorless Blender through an art store on-line. You'll find it listed along with the other Copic marker refills.



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this information. Will share with those I know with the pens. Please try to ignore the mean people ... most of them find something wrong with everything! Enjoy your blog immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, advice and for taking the time to leave a comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! Thank you so so much for taking the time to share your solutions. All of my blendies (and I have them all) are fine and not dry - yet. I'll definitely be using your advice for any fixes that may arise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrice, I'm so glad you didn't get any dry ones. I also got them all, but I had 3 markers arrive mostly dry. Now they work just fine :) Have fun coloring!

      Delete
  3. Great tips; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for these tips - very helpful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Jan! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground