Conquer the fear - learn to sew

Have you seen the cute totes and bags so many crafters are creating? Are you like me and sorta afraid of a sewing machine? Ok, so I'm not afraid exactly; but, the thought of trying to sew in a straight line makes me break out in a sweat! As you know,  Stampin' Up! has been carrying some really nice fabrics. I had purchased some, but being wimpy with fear was going to lead to them ending up in my storage closet. Such beauty in hiding... not good!

Well, when I saw this easy to follow tutorial by Midwestern Sewing Girl I remembered that, in addition to the fabric, I had some canvas in my stock-pile of supplies. I started feeling brave and then the chicken in me figured that if it went horribly wrong, I could just toss it and never tell anyone ;) So here is my first attempt; I have to admit, it was easy and it's pretty darn cute - crooked lines and all.

The circular element on the front is from a leadership project. It uses some of the same fabric so I figured I could skip the ruffles on the tutorial, attach some of our fabulous ribbon and use this instead. Ok, so I should have ironed it before showing it to you.... look away from the wrinkles and check out the inside:

Cute, right? So... now I'm off to improve my sewing (and ironing!) skills so I can make more for gifts :)

Before you go, if you are looking for the tutorial on the fabric bookmark shared last weekend, visit my how-to page for the details. Thanks for stopping by!


Lining Fabric and decorative element on front were created using Stampin' Up! Springtime Vintage fabric, item # 121817. The front panel also uses 5/8" Satin Ribbon in Pretty in Pink and Taffeta Ribbon in Rich Razzleberry.
Need supplies? Shop Stampin' Up! Online


Springtime Vintage Designer Fabric (121817, $9.95)
 

Comments

  1. How cute!! Way to go I am still to scared to sew! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my fabric, and I'm still waiting for THE project in which to dig in. Isn't that sad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute bag! Great job sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your bag - the colors, the decoration on the front - everything. I liked yours better than the original actually. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that's adorable! Great job, Adriana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very cute bag, Adriana! I can envision some great fabric items in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to tackle your fear! That's a great bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! I wonder how many words you can make out of "seamstress" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok Adriana, I wasn't a fan of the fabric until I saw this. Now I'm thinking I NEED some!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SEW cute! Sewing's not that hard til you mess up! Great project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Your comments are greatly appreciated!