This week, I'm focusing again on ribbon with a guest appearance by Felt Flurries Snowflakes. With Christmas season rolling up on us soon, I thought it would be fun to try a ribbon tree. If you don't have much time to spare, you will be happy to know that it only took about an hour from start to finish.
1. Cut ribbon into 2" lengths. (Cut about 12 of each color to begin with, then cut more as you go.)
2. Start near the bottom of the foam cone. Fold one piece of ribbon in half. Using a flat head push pin, insert the pin through the cut ends of the ribbon into the cone.
3. Repeat with a second piece of ribbon. Very slightly overlap the edge of the ribbon so that you hide the foam underneath. Repeat all the way around the cone.
4. Start a second row. You'll want to pin this one so that the loop that hangs down covers the pin of the ribbon in the lower row. Repeat and complete this second row.
5. Repeat, going a row higher each time until you are near the top of the cone. Some samples found online use a tiny tree topper to cover the top of the cone and further embellish the tree. I wanted to use items already on-hand, so I used additional ribbon and Felt Flurries instead.
6. Cut the ribbon long enough to cover the top of the cone and leave a loop on both sides, pinning into place (where it will hold the loop). Repeat until the top of the cone is covered.
7. And then wrap a piece of coordinating ribbon around the loops and pin in place.
So there you have it, ribbon trees! Easy and oh-so-cute. Now I have to decide: keep it or put it on a tray with cookies for a gift. Better go look at my naughty/nice list one more time....
If you'd like to give this a try, here are some options to consider:
- Alternate colors of ribbon on the same row.
- Use one color of ribbon for a monochromatic look.
- Cut longer lengths and separate the rows a bit more for a more elongated look.
- Adhere Rhinestone or Pearl Jewels (stickers) to resemble ornaments.
- Use decorative push pins instead of the flat head kind used here. Separate your rows a bit more so that the pins show; they'll look like tiny ornaments!
Felt Flurries Snowflakes (ret.)
5/8" Chocolate Chip Ribbon, Soft Sky Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, (Certainly Celery) Ribbon Bundle from past Sale-a-bration promotion
Other (items from the craft store): Flat-head pins, Foam Cone
Need ribbon. Last day to save with our On-line Spectacular Click to SHOP NOW Thank you!