How to Shred Ribbon

Hello! Today's card shows a technique Jaron Winder shared with us last summer at convention. The grosgrain ribbon has been "shredded" and now it looks like my hair used to after a bad perm! Just kidding, more like I took a crimping iron to it :)


To get this effect, you simply take nice sharp scissors and trim off the binding on the edges of the ribbon. You'll want to do this on both sides. You'll then be able to pull away some of the ribbon fibers that run horizontally across your piece, leaving only the fibers that run the length of the ribbon.

One note on the scissors: I always recommend that you keep an extra pair of them that are ONLY used for ribbon (or cloth). This is something my Abuelita (grandmother) told me ages ago and I truly believe that it is good advice. Do not use the same scissors that you use for paper or you'll soon notice that they don't want to cut anything! Mark them, too - clearly label them or put a piece of ribbon on the handle so that you remember what they are for. I literally took a sharpie and wrote "RIBBON ONLY" on my scissors so that anyone grabbing them will know what they are for. Even scissors that you find at the dollar store will last longer and perform better if you stick to this tip. :)


Supplies:
Stamps: Love you much, Dias Felices
Ink: Riding Hood Red, Basic Black
Paper: Going Gray, Pink Pirouette, Whisper White, Parisian Summer Designer Series Paper (ret.)
Other: Silver Brads and Ribbon Slide from our Silver Hodgepodge Hardware kit


Comments

  1. very cute card and great technique.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cute! i love it.

    i have a "ribbon" pair of scissors also. funny how that is.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The card is beautiful and I love that technique. I'm going to have to try it! BTW I've got ribbon scissors too. A wise demo once told me that!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Your comments are greatly appreciated!